The Homeless Assistance Programs practice area makes measurable impacts on homelessness by helping communities make data-driven decisions, implement evidence-based best practices, and provide life-saving assistance to people experiencing homelessness who are impacted by public health emergencies and natural disasters.
This team works on a range of projects all tied together by a commitment to ending homelessness, strengthening housing opportunities, and reducing racial disparities in housing outcomes. We have designed and supported the roll-out of data tools that illuminate system performance and support local priority-setting, led public health emergency and disaster responses and recovery planning, and worked to support communities to evaluate and improve their local coordinated entry systems and restructure organizational responsibilities and entities to strengthen local homelessness services administration and operation.
As established social scientists and homeless system leaders, Cloudburst’s Homeless Assistance Programs practice area has worked extensively with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and hundreds of state and local communities to:
- Design effective coordinated entry (CE), rapid rehousing (RRH), diversion, and permanent supportive housing (PSH) strategies.
- Develop tools and products that build communities’ capacity to quickly respond to changing needs for homeless men, women, and children.
- Prepare for and respond to disasters such as COVID-19, hepatitis, tuberculosis, hurricanes, floods, and fires.
- Use data to drive system improvements through advanced statistical analysis and evaluation techniques.
- Help communities understand federal and state regulations through training, product development, and other technical assistance.
For over 15 years, Cloudburst has been a national leader in building the capacity of communities to prevent and end homelessness in the United States. Cloudburst subject matter experts are positioned at the forefront of emerging issues such as COVID-19, unsheltered homelessness, rural homelessness, and targeted homelessness prevention. Cloudburst has partnered with HUD to deliver technical assistance to hundreds of CoCs, gaining practical experience designing high-impact responses that improve exits to permanent housing, reduce returns to homelessness, and shorten the length of time people remain homeless in urban and rural communities both large and small.
Cloudburst staff are available for on-demand services and longer-term contract engagements. Our Homeless Assistance Programs staff have worked with communities across the country to deliver customized training, technical writing, and evaluation assistance.